Did you know that there’s a commuter benefit for biking to work? That’s right. Employees who bike to work can earn a $20 biking voucher each month. The bicycling benefit can be offered as a tax-deductible subsidy in addition to salary.
Biking vouchers can be used towards equipment purchases, bicycle purchases, repairs or storage. They are redeemable at dedicated bicycle shops and bicycle parking and storage locations across the country.
Vouchers are available from $10 to a max of $20.
We know it’s not much, but it’s a start
We hope that as we continue to push for increased biking benefits in recognition of the biking community, legislation will realize the importance of making biking a valued mode of commuting.
Interested in starting an employee bike to work program? Our Five Things to Consider Before Launching a Bike to Work Program can help you get the ball rolling.
Why biking benefits are so awesome
Need some convincing on why you should offer biking vouchers for your employees? Here are some interesting facts and stats:
- Biking is über good for one’s health. Adding just 30 minutes of cycling to your daily life saves you $544 in annual medical costs.
- Bicycle commuting can be faster than driving. A study conducted by the smarties over at MIT in France found that bikes are 50% faster than cars during rush hour.
- Biking is a major stress-reducer and can add to the quality of your life. It’s been shown to provide excellent therapeutic benefits for both the mind and spirit.
- On average, people who bike to work lose about 13 pounds during that first year.
- People biking to work don’t have to worry about unpredictable traffic patterns. Commute times are virtually always the same.
- It’s so much easier to park your bike than to search high and low for a parking spot for your car.